Friday, April 30, 2010

Thoughts on 1000 White Women

I am never really amazing at summing up a book or writing my thoughts out and let's face it Abby is amazing at it and everything else English and Writing related:) But, here is goes. . .

It took me about 100 pages to get into this book and from there on I became attached to the characters and really enjoyed the book. I love books about women and their lives - I guess I just like to hear other women's stories of braveness, courage, adversity, and triumph. It is inspirational to me.

I just have to mention what a tough life May was leading, being torn away from her husband and children and left at an asylum. It is hard to believe a father could do that to a child no matter the circumstances. Her attitude and her character while in the asylum were inspirational, I would hope that put under such circumstances I could do the same.

It was also quite surprising to me some of the things that happened not amazingly long ago such as sending 1000 white women out to the indians as wives. I tried to put myself in the situation and decide if I would have been one brave enough to go or would I have stayed in my present circumstances?

The end of the book was an ending that kind of left you numb. I like books that don't always have happily ever endings I think they are refreshing and real. However, they do leave me wishing the best would have occurred for the characters I have become so acquainted with.

I loved this book, I had never heard of it before and was glad Abby chose it as our book! I am loving this book club thing, it keeps me reading and I love hearing others thoughts at the end of the month.

No comments: