Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My Thoughts on One Thousand White Women

Caution: Do not read this post if you haven't read the book and still want to. :)

So I have to say, I think we have done pretty well on the book selection so far. I thought this book was interesting as well. The beginning was a little bit slow, but I got more caught up in it the more I read. Here are my thoughts:

Honestly, my least favorite part was the love affair between Mary and the Captain. It felt kind of silly to me. That aside, I liked Mary as a character. I admired her strength and courage. I also loved how she made herself fit into her new life. I really believe that she loved the Chief. She loved her sister/wives. I got the feeling that she had a real appreciation for the experience she was given and for the simplicity and fairness of the Cheyennes. Her relationship with her husband and her dependence on him for safety and comfort is so true to life. I loved their "honeymoon." I especially liked when they are talking to each other in different languages, but it still brings them closer together. Story of my life! Men and women rarely speak the same language. But I know when I take the time to talk to my husband and tell him everything, I always fell closer to him.

Really I have a thing for Indians. If you didn't know that about me, now you do. I just find that culture so intriguing. My favorite parts were when she was describing everyday life with the tribe and within her family.

I also loved all the other women. They made me laugh and cry. My two favorites were Sara and Miss Lovelace. Sara seemed so young and innocent. I felt a sad for her, because she probably experienced some horrible things to become mute. It made me so happy when she was happy. To me it is no small miracle that she learned how to be happy and successful. Daisy Lovelace was a very dynamic character. She held onto the past and the love for her father by saying completely inappropriate things. However, it was obvious that her words did not match her feelings. She loved her husband, the Indians, and Phemie. I thought she showed a lot of bravery as well. I loved that she brought her white lace wedding dress. She was committed.

There are so many things I could say about this book. There are so many dimensions of the book to talk about and so many relationships. It is like I don't even know where to start or which parts are most important. So I guess this is it!

1 comment:

Jen Adair said...

Loved your comments Abby! I agree on the love affair seeming silly and and not having that as one of my favorite parts of the book.