Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Help

I loved this book as well. I flew through it and stayed up reading chapter after chapter. I love this time in history - the music, the political issues, the fashion, the design.

It always is so amazing to me that things were so segregated. These times were only 40-50 years ago, they were in our parents and grandparents time.

I also love that the story really honed into the lives of the women. I love stories about women and their trials and triumphs. I feel like I can put myself in their shoes and really relate or see into their lives. I loved this book that it gave us a good insight into many different women's lives.

I really felt for Abileen having lost her son and in a way her daughter. She was pretty much alone and the family she "helped" became her family. She was such a sweet and humble character.

I found Miss Celia's situation interesting. She came from a modest background and married Johnny putting her into a so called "higher class." Yet, she didn't fit in and everybody knew it. I couldn't help but feel so embarrassed for her at the charity event. She was such a sweet lady to Minny, she didn't treat her like "help" she wanted to be her friend. It seemed like she may have joined Skeeter?

Skeeter- I loved Skeeter, I want to say I would be most like her, but in actuality I don't know if I would have those kind of guts. As much as I want to change the world and make a difference I usually take the safe side. When it comes to fight or flight, I usually take the flight approach.
I agree with Abby that I don't think she knew quite what she was getting into. I thought it was going to work out with Stuart. I thought he was better than that, I thought he would have been ok with her writing and her ambitions.

Hilly - I can't believe Hilly had so much influence over all the other ladies! I guess we have all had one of those friends in our lives. I think mine was in middle school I would have done anything - just to be her friend and one of the "cool girls." I was glad to see some of the ladies sticking to their guns at the end and not firing their "help."

Elizabeth - Reminds me of so many women (and men) today who let other things in their lives be a priority over family. I see it at work with my bosses kids who spend maybe an hour and half with their parents a day and when they are at the office - all they want is their moms attention and praise. It would be tough to grow up with a mom like that. Thankfully Mae Mobley had Abileen to sort of be her mother figure. (And what kind of name is Mae Mobley??)

Anyway, I loved this book. I have been done for a week now and still think about it and analyze it. Good Read! Can't wait for many more to come!

1 comment:

Abby Bell said...

We had a training at work this week about conflict resolution. He started the training by talking about how all emotional reactions are driven by fear. And then he told us that all fear is ,at the root, the fear of being alone. I was thinking about that when reading your response and I think it is so true, especially for the characters in this book. If you think about their reactions to the people around them, they are always upset that they will lose their friends, their job, their family... When it comes down to it, we are herd animals. We need people around us.


...and as far as Stuart. I think she did a really good job of making you think her would stay with her and really believing that he loved her that much. But I'm really not surprised that he didn't. At least i wasn't surprised after he did it. What i really loved about that part of the book was her mother's reaction. So Good!

Erica...even if it is not for the book club you need to finish this book because it was so good!